Search This Blog

Monday, September 14, 2009

NY Fashion Week: Derek Lam

Derek Lam has been such a hot name these past few years that it would be a shame not to mention him in NY Fashion Week. Personally I've never been a fan even though I desperately want to (he's from SF!). Perhaps I just don't understand the popular floral prints that are reminiscient of wallpaper. Perhaps it's because most of his experience was from working for Michael Kors of who's clothing line I am also not a fan. Or perhaps it's because I just don't understand when the heck I'm supposed to wear his clothes.

Case in point from Spring 2010:


What is this? A bathing suit? Or an evening gown where you're supposed to supply your own skirt?

However, I do love this:
The black graphics were strategically placed to wander the eye from shoulder to hem and back around again. Love the ruffle on the shoulder, the sway of the skirt (I know I know, I have a thing for swaying skirts) and the double belt pulls it all together. Perfection.

-JK

No comments:

Post a Comment